Almond crescent cookies are another staple in our Croatian Christmas cookie baking day! These pretty little snowy crescent moons are another sweet treat that are prefect for a morning cup of coffee or post-dinner espresso. Speaking of espresso, in the afternoons, we often enjoyed Bosnian coffee (or Turkish coffee) together and these cookies are a perfect hint of sweet to the strong coffee flavor. Fun fact… this is also the same type of coffee that’s used in fortune telling. When the cup is finished, the left over grounds at the bottom form patterns called tasseomancy that is interpreted.
These cookies are buttery with the perfect balance of ground almonds finished with that hint of sweet from the powdered sugar. They have a super soft little crunch to them and almost melt in your mouth.
Here are the other delicious Christmas cookie recipes from our annual Christmas cookie baking day that I shared this year:
- Croatian Walnut Kifle Cookies
- Ginger Spice Spritz Cookies
- Madarica (Hungarian Layered Squares)
- Tea Time Tassies (Pecan Tassies)
Be sure to check out this years post on my favorite baking tradition!
Now let’s bake some Almond Crescent cookies…
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp vanilla sugar (or equal parts vanilla and sugar)
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Blend the flour, almonds, sugar and vanilla sugar together in a large bowl for a stand mixer. Cut the butter into cubes and add them in as you mix the ingredients together. The dough should start to form as the ingredients combine.
- Once the dough has formed, grab about a golf-ball sized chunk of dough, rolling it between your hands and then forming it into a crescent moon. Fill your baking sheets (1 or 2 depending on size) with the cookies, then bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until slightly firm and slightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then sift powdered sugar over top, or dunk the cookies into a bowl of powdered sugar.
Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season filled with peace, love, and good health. ❤