It’s been too long since I’ve baked a Croatian treat! One of the things I love most about Croatian desserts is the layering – you’ll find that so many of these desserts are delicately layered, beautiful bars and some are airy and creamy. Today I’m baking Ledene Kocke which is known as Chocolate Ice Squares.
I had originally pulled a recipe for this from my favorite Croatian cook book, but ran into quite a few baking blunders with this recipe yesterday… but these days happen, so you just have to shake it off and remind yourself that tomorrow is a new day to be present while baking and start again! I thought about the parts of this recipe that didn’t work out so well for me, and tweaked it to make it my own, and finally it was lovely!
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbs instant coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 4.5 tbs flour
- 2 tbs granulated sugar
- 2 tbs vanilla
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 10 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the cake, beat the eggs well until frothy, then slowly add the 3 tbs of sugar.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and instant coffee in a separate bowl, then slowly add to the egg mixture. Pour batter into a square glass baking dish and bake for 20 minutes until toothpick is clean when removed. Allow to cool.
- For the cream layer, bring milk to a simmering boil, then add the vanilla, flour and sugar. Cook until thickens while stirring continuously then allow to cool completely in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Whip the butter with the powdered sugar together until well-combined.
- While mixing at a high speed, add the milk mixture in spoonfuls. Once combined, spread this mixture over the baked cake layer and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- For the ganache layer, place your baking chips into a large-sized bowl then heat the heavy cream in a sauce pan until it comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and place over the chips and let stand for 3 minutes, then whisk until combined.
- Pour the ganache over top, smooth it out and put back into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove from the fridge, then cut into squares for serving.
Time to enjoy this rich and decadent chocolate dessert!